Major General Joseph T. Guastella, Jr. is the Deputy Chief of Staff,Operations and Intelligence, Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Casteau, Belgium. He is responsible for supervising and directing the SHAPE Comprehensive Crisis Operations Management Center, J2, J3, and J9.
General Guastella’s last assignment was Deputy Director for Requirements (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.General Guastella entered the Air Force in 1987 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He’s flown the F-16 Fighting Falcon and A-10 Thunderbolt II, served multiple combat tours, and instructed at the U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School. He commanded the 555th Fighter Squadron, ‘Triple Nickel’, Aviano Air Base, Italy, the 20thFighter Wing at Shaw Air Force Base, S.C, and the 455th Air
Expeditionary Wing, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan.
1987 Bachelor of Science in Astronautical Engineering, U.S. Air ForceAcademy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1994 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Science in Aero Science Technology, Embry RiddleUniversity
2001 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Science in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2011 Senior Executive Fellows program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass
1. August 1987 - January 1989, student pilot, 80th Flying Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. January 1989 - September 1989, F-16 initial training, Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. September 1989 - May 1992, squadron electronic combat pilot and assistant weapons officer, 526thTactical Fighter Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
4. May 1992 - May 1993, instructor pilot, assistant flight commander and assistant weapons officer, 35thFighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
5. May 1993 - April 1994, standardization and evaluation flight examiner, 526th TFS, Ramstein AB,Germany
6. April 1994 - January 1995, standardization and evaluation flight examiner, 555th FS, Aviano AB, Italy
7. Jan 1995 - June 1995, student, fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. June 1995 - December 1996, squadron weapons and tactics officer and assistant wing weapons officer,555th FS, Aviano AB, Italy
9. December 1996 - August 2000, Instructor, F-16 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. September 2000 - June 2001, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2001 - August 2002, action officer, Joint Strike Fighter and Combat Identification Programs,Headquarters Air Force, Directorate of Operational Requirements, Washington, D.C.
12. August 2002 - October 2003, operations officer, 555th FS, Aviano AB, Italy
13. October 2003 - July 2005, commander, 555th FS, Aviano AB, Italy
14. August 2005 - July 2006, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
15. June 2006 - June 2007, U.S. CENTAF, A3 forward and CAOC Director of Operations, Southwest Asia
16. June 2007 - August 2008, Deputy Director CAPSTONE, National Defense University, Fort LesleyJ. McNair, Washington D.C.
17. August 2008 - October 2008, vice commander, 20th FW, Shaw AFB, S.C.
18. October 2008 – June 2010, commander, 20th FW, Shaw AFB, S.C.
19. June 2010 – July 2011, Chief Program Integration Division, Directorate of Programs, DCS StrategicPlans and Programs, Pentagon Washington D.C.
20. July 2011 – June 2012, Deputy Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for StrategicPlans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
21. July 2012 – July 2013, commander, 455 AEW, Bagram, Afghanistan
22. July 2013 – July 2015, Deputy Director of Requirements (J8), Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
23. July 2015 – Present, Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations and Intelligence, SHAPE, Casteau Belgium
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2006 - June 2007, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, A3 forward and Combined Air OperationsCenter Director of Operations, Southwest Asia, as a colonel
2. June 2007 - August 2008, Deputy Director CAPSTONE, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J.McNair, Washington D.C., as a colonel
3. July 2012 - July 2013, Commander 455 Air Expeditionary Wing, Bagram, Afghanistan, RegionalCommand East, as brigadier general
4. July 2013 – July 2015, Deputy Director for Requirements, (J8) Joint Staff as brigadier general
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,000 (1000+ combat)
Aircraft Employed: F-16C/D, A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with eleven oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1987
First Lieutenant May 27, 1989
Captain May 27, 1991
Major Nov. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2003
Colonel Jun. 15, 2006
Brigadier General Nov. 18, 2011
Major General Jul. 24, 2015
Current as of 10 July 2013